What can we do to keep our minds sharp and active even as we age?
Here’s my top 7 things to do that I’ve put together from a recent neuroscience conference given by Jonathan Jordan, LCSW.
7. Good Dental Hygiene– cleaning your teeth and flossing keeps inflammation down which helps oxygen and glucose get to the brain.
6. Eat Well– Duh! Lots of Omega-3 fatty acids (wild salmon, tuna and oils), fresh fruits and veges loaded with antioxidants such as Acai berry and blueberries. Even coffee is OK.
5. Challenge your mind– Don’t ever retire and sit in a rocking chair and do nothing. Keep learning, take classes. Explore your environment. Do things differently.
4. Be Social and stay connected. Spend time with friends and family. Isolation is an independent risk factor for depression and heart disease.
3. Sleep Well. Get the rest you need and take naps if needed.
2. Be Active– exercise and move your body. It doesn’t have to be a 10 mile run. Swim, walk, dance…..just move!
1. Be Happy! Have a positive attitude. Focus away from perceived threats and more toward optimism. Relax and enjoy life. Have gratitude and laugh often.